Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A new house (cleaned up)















I'm here at my new house. Well I should congratulate myself actually for organizing the whole kitchen, not to mention cataloging a ton of my housemates a year old food stuff (not to mention my own) into the respective places in the endless cabinets of the house. And today also I have managed to organize my room and made it spick and span. Hehe.

Today new freshmen came, they are from JPA sponsorship and they came in a 2+3 program here in Madison. They might be staying at our house for a couple of days, hence, the abrupt and hectic house cleaning that we (the housemates) endured ourselves to. And some JPA and MSD officials came too.

Our new house has no internet connection, and right now I am kinda 'borrowing' some other house's wireless connection. Its so bad, that I'm in and out of the YM. The internet and cable tv came as a bundle provided by Charter. And our housemate has an account, its just that we've so, they had to set it up again.

Today at the lab, I had visitors from the Engineering School. A professor and his student.They wanted to see the set up of the algae culture room and my SV has given me the honour of explaining about the culture room. And next I was to explain about the culture flasks, and the products from the algae. Hmm, it seemed that everybody's doing the algae. I wonder what sets me apart from them? Experience, knowledge and plain old luck I guess(green fingers??). In this world of competitive science, I still haven't catch up on how people would advise another people on the science of stuff and still be doing it, without ever , another person taking their research. Maybe, I will learn it in time. Hey, maybe I won't.

In the old University where I worked, it has always been competitive. And scientist are data stingy. And they only share with whom they will collaborate with. And I do not see this as a healthy culture. Scientist should be able to share, cooperate and also enrich themselves by collaboration, and at the same time, not losing the knowledge or information to another.

Maybe, I will learn it in time. Hey, maybe I won't.
Time will tell.



No comments: