Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Delay in Narita






Today's Wed Aug 13 2008. I'm in the plane NW12 going to Detroit, MI. Although duration of the flight is 12 hours, the plane will leave at 4.15pm, it will arrive at the same day Wednesday at 4.34pm in Michigan.And to make it easy , we could just based it on Malaysian time, it is now 3.15pm Wed and I'll be arriving on Thursday 5.30 am.

Whatever it is, I am sure to doze off for at least 6 hours. And also since it is 2 am in Madison, it is 4 pm in Narita Airport Tokyp and I love seeing people work outside of this terminal. You know it feels healthy working in the sun. Perspiration makes you so healthy. It really perks you up. Daylight :work, Nightime:sleep. It is so normal to be like that. Hehe. What's the fuss you may ask? Well, I would answer that imagine yourself being in a topsy turvy world in a couple of hours. Its the jet lag. I'm gonna have to work when the body clock's saying me to sleep and I'm going have to sleep when the body's ticking rise and shine. Its gonna take me a couple of days to get used to it. I know.And as they say, you need to go out into the sun as much as possible, to help to encounter the jetlag. Appreciate the sunset and at night, sleep!

Being a student overseas is sure tough. Jet lag, clock adjustment, immigration, food and study at the same time.I'm going have to adapt adapt and adapt. What will help though is to visualize the success feeling I shall have when the time comes for me to finish my labwork, the preliminaries tests, courses and defense for my PhD. Yup, after being 'all but dissertator' status like Shn said.

What I really wish is to instill in me the research culture that the scientists in the states have. I need to really feel the research that I am doing. In doing so, not only I will gain satisfaction and pleasure in finishing the research and do journal writing but more than that is cultivating the research culture for future students in Malaysia to be interested in research and helping in creative writing of journals. I feel the researches in the States read the journal paper excitingly, reading each and every word. And just by using a certain word, it puts the whole meaning of the research to a different emphasis and impact. This fascinates me a lot. For as long as I have read the literature articles, they are no more monotonous than reading the daily newspaper.

I also think that I need to instill in me the reading as a pleasure as a hobby. So that ways of expressing oneself through creative writing are explored and messages are expressed thoroughly and accurately as possible. Reading as a hobby, frankly speaking has not catched on to me. Usually I read for motivational and religious purposes, and sometimes novels. (Nicholas Sparks-A walk to remember:very touching!).

It is 4.15 Narita time, and the Captain of the plane has informed that there have been some problems with the maintenance of the engine. And it end up at arougn 5.15 the plane leaves for Detroit.

No comments: