Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Life must go on & Orientation

Life must go on. There are things that might be learnt from this accident that happen.
Such as:

* Plan your trip ahead. And have some time for relax or buffer zone.
* Make sure you are covered with insurance all the way, even if you have to pay more.
* Add additional drivers for car rental, otherwise, there is no use of opting for the car insurance.
* Believe in your self when you have doubts about the trip.
* If you have negative thoughts about the trip, then just lookout for the worse, anticipate and ask. What is the worse thing that could happen? And how do I deal with it. Make constructive judgments.IT WILL HELP.
* Ask yourself what are your priorities?
* What of I go on with this trip? How do I feel? What do I do there? Will it make me feel happy? And what if I do not go on this trip? How would I feel? What will I do back here? Will it make me feel happy?

Like for me, I did anticipate that something would go wrong, but I didn't make backup plans to deal with the problems that may arise. Hence when something did go wrong, I was left there in the open. Like an open target.


***********
Yesterday was Monday.
Since the trip was canceled, I was able to go for the Department's Orientation. I was not formally introduced to the Faculty Members when I first got here in Madison. The lecturer's are not always around the department anyways if I were to go and meet them one by one. This time it is orientation and that means the lecturers have to make time to meet the new Grad students.

The orientation has two parts, the Monday slot and the Tuesday slot. On Wednesday, they are having a picnic. Fun!
By the tour that was done yesterday, I found that the Department has some really good and multimillion dollars worth of equipments. And I never knew this before.Yesterday, I was introduced to the confocal, laser, electron and some other microscopes that I haven't seen before. And If people would ask me 'are the equipments in the USA better than the ones in Malaysia?' . I would definitely say yes to that. Our department holds the Biological Imaging Center. That is one of the keywords that I would say.

The herbarium is also extensive. It is one of the largest in the Nation. All of the samples were cataloged successfully last summer. And we were told to make full use of it.

They are only 6 new grad students this Fall 08.

No comments: