Thursday, May 08, 2008

How to go through a Journal Article -my style

Syukur ke hadrat Illahi, atas berkat dan limpah yang dikurniakan kepada hambaNya ini..
alhamdulilah i dapat siapkan asignment the last notebook entry on time today. Its really difficult for me. Although the gist of it was discussed in class but to put in writing without sounding too superficial was a great task for me. And can you imagine how hard was that, if there werent any previous discussion about the paper. I mean like we could get lost in the reading anytime.
So obviously to go through the task at hand, ideally would be to just read the whole article first, to get the whole point view, and then read it again to get the details.
But practically speaking, me being raised in Msia and all. If i was reading it, at a glance, nothing will go in. Nothing..its like reading the news ..less than 5% will go in.

So here's my strategy that works.
* Scan through the whole article
1. Read paragraph by paragraph
2. Make a one line sentence to just summarize the whole paragraph.
3. Go on till the end of the passage.
You'll see the way how the story develops and goes..

But I still feel that U need the initial scanning through though..So Im gonna have to put an * before line 1.
And most ly..the most valuable thing you could do when making a paper review/notebook entry is that, only through discussion, you will be able to see what the paper is about.
I guess, for me, after going through all the 4 steps above and after making the Notebook report yourself, then only you would be able to criticize as constructively as a discussion with a fellow colleague will. So , stop wasting energy, be friendly, talk a little, and invite a friend for a discussion.

Then as I make the summary of the paragraphs, ideas beginning to come about certain subjects. And its best to write it out (handwritten) cause the idea may come out once only.
And I suggest it to be handwritten cause, I am kinda sick of the glaring radiation from my laptop (once you been on it too much).

No comments: