Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Tips

Today is Tuesday, and I was expected to give a short introductory talk about a topic that was assigned by the Professor. I had a topic of the defense mechanisms of the algae. And although I had the points were very much at grasp. But, seriously, you are very much intimidated to give a speech in front of the native speakers, who could fill any gaps of words without even thinking about it.

It was a Com-B class and the class requires some sort of oral presentation be done. And the Prof forbids any use of any powerpoint presentation. But you are allowed to bring in some items for display and also make a cardboard presentation or sort. ITs like a show and tell.So, I thought to myself, why don't I just teach in front. I am kinda used to teaching, really.

I had the points laid out that night. And I had asked my house-mate Ifq to be the sole audience. And Ifq had some great suggestions on how to succeed in giving a public speech. By the way Ifq had gone through several phases of English presentation cause he is required to fulfil them. Just be yourself! And its really good to have some sort of attention grabber when you start to give your speech like, a joke, anecdote and sort. A joke works best.Grab the points and speak. And if you hold on the paper you bring, there will be no flow and you'll get stuck he says.

I tried a couple of times speaking in front of Ifiq. Making mistakes,stuttering, leaving gaps of my sentences, but making sure to finish off my speech before Ifq gave comments. I found that, I gave a better speech when I was not imagining myself giving a speech to a group, but to just , solely to Ifq. It gets so much better, smoother and personalized. It gets way much better when you had your speech personalized. You are naturally warm, confident and feeling energized and passionate. Just like an audience would like it. Target one audience, and talk as though you are speaking to only one. But keep your eyes to all. Tricky aint it.

The points that I might be giving here, might not be all perfect in a strict sense, but it has helped me. Thanks Ifq, I really appreciate it.

1 comment:

MsN said...

defense mechanisms of algae?sounds interesting..boleh share maklumat nih..my PhD are all about algae..fuh..anyway, best of luck ya!